Skip to content

The beginnings of the studio/family room

May 16, 2010

We have a 500 sq.ft. room over the garage which we used as a family room when we first moved in. It had  a small freestanding Franklin stove in the corner on a brick tiled floor ( great fun for the toddler and black finger prints everywhere!). We removed the stove, painted the walls magnolia and continued to use  it. But was too far from the bathroom at the opposite end of the house and the summer temperatures picked up and it got hot up so we moved downstairs….Since then we’ve replaced the ac with a separate upstairs unit but it still gets really hot!

Over the next 11 years we’ve used it off an on as a family room/ office but every summer the heat drives us downstairs. We were going to insulate the roof but when we took down the central boards we found there was insulation there (old), and the central roof beam was cracked! So two summers ago Candy’s husband  helped Geraint jack up the roof and mend the central beam! We stuff as much insulation as we could into the gaps and put the boards back.

Since then we’ve used it on and off…

But now Will wants friends to stay over to play the xbox late into the evening and just hang out. Finally his friends are catching him up in size (well creeping up to 6ft) and its getting a bit tight having them sleep on the floor in the front room.

2 weeks ago, after their CSTs,Will kindly volunteered a couple of friends to help rip up the carpet & underlay providing they had an xbox sleep over!.

IMG_1598Yeah – no carpet or underlay, but staples in the floor. The corner with the two windows is where I’d like my studio space because the light there is great. The wooden trim around the edge of the ceiling is gone… Geraint wants to replace it with something nicer.

IMG_1599

Looking the other way, the door onto the decking, the banisters (now gone) and all the dark wood trim (going to be painted white?)

This week Geraint ripped up the stair carpet. This weekend we removed all the staples in the floor – from the underlay I guess! Then Geraint decided we’d replace the wooden banister with stainless steel….so that’s all down now and the bamboo flooring will come to the edge of the floor and be finished properly!

So this week I’ll start sanding down the wooden framing, remove the curtain rails and do the filling I can reach – all preparation for painting. It would be good to get the walls and trim painted before the floor goes in!

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. May 17, 2010 3:02 pm

    Ooh! A projector – genius! Is that yours?

    • bizzilizzi permalink*
      May 17, 2010 3:39 pm

      No not ours Geraint was very scathing of it… he said the picture quality was terrible… He wants a supersized tv in that space… will be like going to the movies!

  2. Lyn permalink
    May 17, 2010 6:40 pm

    Fabulous room! Good luck with the temperature control, and with keeping the boys out of your space if you do manage to keep it cool. Look forward to seeing photos of your new workspace 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: